Fall is in the air, which means leaves are gradually changing from various shades of green to bright yellows, reds, and oranges. We are planning on making animals out of leaves to tie in our study of plants and earth materials along with our study of animals in our community!
The first step in making leaf animals requires you to collect some leaves! Please take a walk with your child to go on a leaf hunt. Look for leaves of different colors, shapes, and sizes. All leaves are welcome!
Once you find the leaves, please prepare them so they are ready to use when they come into school:
- Soak the leaves in warm water for 5-10 minutes
- Blot the leaves dry
- Layer the leaves between several pieces of newspaper (make sure leaves are not overlapping)
- Put something heavy on top of the leaves (I usually use a few cook books!)
- Let leaves press for 5 days
- Place leaves in a baggie with your child’s name on it and return the leaves to school
Leaves are due on or before Tuesday, November 1st
If you want to see some of the animal leaf collages students have made in the past, click here!