Fall is in the air, which means leaves are gradually changing from various shades of green to bright yellows, reds, and oranges. In second grade, we celebrate the foliage by making animal leaf collages out of the leaves we find out in our own backyards.
The first step in making leaf animals requires you to collect some leaves. Please take a walk with your child to go on a leaf hunt--look for leaves of different colors, shapes, and sizes. All leaves are welcome!
Once you find the leaves, please prepare them so they are ready to use when they come into school:
- · Soak the leaves in warm water for 5-10 minutes
- · Blot the leaves dry
- · Layer the leaves between several pieces of newspaper (make sure leaves are not overlapping)
- · Put something heavy on top of the leaves (I usually use a few cook books!)
- · Let leaves press for 5-7 days
- · Place leaves in a baggie with your child’s name on it and return the leaves to school. We will make our leaf animals in the classroom!
If leaves are not prepared before they are sent into the classroom, they will be too dry or delicate to glue for our collages, so please be sure to follow all the steps before sending your leaves in!
Leaves are due by Wednesday, October 14th
If you want to see examples of what last year's giraffes made, click here!